Born: March 21, 1933
Death: March 25, 2014
Occupation: School Administrator
Memorial donations can be made to:
SUNY Cortland Athletic Department PO Box 2000, Cortland, NY 13045.
March 21, 1933 - March 25, 2014
Louis R. Pettinelli Jr. (age 81) of Brewerton, NY was born in Rome, NY, the son of Louis Sr. and Josephine (Trino) Pettinelli. He was a graduate of Rome Free Academy (1951), SUNY Cortland (1955 BS, 1958 MS) and obtained his CAS Certification from Syracuse University. Lou was a long time educator who started his career at Central Square Central Schools as a physical education teacher, football & wrestling coach and Central Office Administrator.
In 1977, after 22 years at Central Square, the last as Asst. Superintendent, Lou moved to Oswego County BOCES as Deputy Superintendent, retiring in 2003 after 26 years.
Lou was widely recognized as the first wrestling coach of Central Square and as a one-time wrestling official who held many and varied offices in the Section III and NYS Wrestling Officials Association. In addition to the 5 years Lou spent as the assistant football coach and the 5 years he proudly spent as the head football coach, he also initiated Central Square’s lacrosse program and acted as the voluntary head coach for the two years it was a club activity.
Lou was also involved in Operation Oswego County, a local economic development agency since 1978 (President of the Board of Directors from 1982-1996) and with COMCO, an economic development agency, administering a loan fund for Cortland, Madison, Cayuga & Onondaga Counties (member 1988-present, President 1993-present).
Lou never forgot his alma-mater, SUNY Cortland. He was the Past-President of the SUNY Cortland C-Club, the athletic program booster club, and served on its Board of Directors. He also served as the co-chairman of the Syracuse Chapter of Cortland College Alumni.
Over the years, Lou was honored as an inductee of several Halls of Fame and was honored by other organizations for his involvement.
• 1987 – Inducted to Section III wrestling Hall of Fame
• 1990 – Private Industry Council “Partner of the Year” Award
• 1996 – Inducted into NYS Wrestling Coaches Hall of Fame
• 1997 – Martin Rose Economic Development Award winner, in appreciation of his outstanding dedication, commitment, vision and leadership in helping to enhance the economy and quality of life in Oswego County.
• 1998 – Inducted into SUNY Cortland C-Club Hall of Fame
• 2002 – Inducted into Central Square Wall of Fame
• 2003 – Syracuse Wrestling Officials Association named their scholarship to a Section III outstanding wrestler under the name of the Pettinelli-Hawk award.
• 2006 – Received the NYS Wrestling Officials Award for contribution and devotion to the NYS Wrestling Officials Association and NYS High School Wrestling.
• 2006 – Inducted into National Wrestling Hall of Fame for lifetime support in the service of wrestling
• 2008 – Inducted into the Rome Free Academy Hall of Fame
• 2011 – Inducted into the NYS Public High School Athletic Association Hall of Fame
Lou was pre-deceased by his brother Patrick Pettinelli and his sister Marie Veschusio. He is survived by his wife, Nancy Frey Pettinelli, his sons Louis III “Ren” (Suzanne), Lawrence (Julie) and Neal (April) and six grandchildren: Louis IV “Rennie”, Justin, Emma, Grace, Drew & Mackenzie. Also Survived by his brothers and sisters: Delores Lyons (Herb), Eleanor Clements, Anthony (Carol), Donald and Carol, also sister-in-law Kay Pettinelli, as well as many nieces, nephews and their children.
Calling hours will held at Traub Funeral Home on Friday March 28, 2014 from 4:00pm – 7:00pm and at Divine Mercy Parish, formerly known as St, Michaels Parish Center, on Saturday March 29, 2014 from 10:00am – 12:15pm followed immediately by a funeral mass at 12:15pm.
In lieu of flowers, donations can be directed to the SUNY Cortland Athletic Program. It is most helpful for donor’s to note that the gift is in memory of Louis Pettinelli, and also to indicate the particular fund designation on the check (Football, Lacrosse or C-Club). Checks should made payable to, and mailed to the Cortland College Foundation, SUNY Cortland; PO Box 2000, Cortland, NY 13045.
Friday March 28, 2014, 4:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Traub Funeral Home, Central Square
Saturday March 29, 2014, 10:00 am - 12:15 pm
Divine Mercy Parish
Saturday March 29, 2014, 12:15 pm
Divine Mercy Parish